Monday, December 15, 2008

My Favourite Time of the Year

It is normal annual routine to go round having fun watching the Christmas decoration of different malls every year. This year is no different from the rest. Last year, 1u was my favourite among all malls, because they picked the perfect theme, the Nutcracker, which was of much resemblance of my favourite Christmas carol, The Little Drummer Boy. 1u decorations last year was magnificient and outdid every other mall. The 'Drummer Boy' stole my heart!
This year, I must say Curve did a good job. It is extravagant, with loads of lights and the garden theme. However it isn't my favourite because clearly they used too many lights and with everything happening, nowadays, the environment is of utmost priority. Maybe if they toned down the lights, it would be my pick. However, I must say 1u's decoration isn't much favoured by me as well. The only element which caught my heart is probably the white theme! Sweet. Yet pure and sincere.

I HATED THIS SHIT! SINCE WHEN ANGELS LOOKED SO SCARY! Geez. I curse whoever designed this. They made Christmas a nightmare.

I am tiny! Pictures taken at Curve.


I like the white theme, but they did to exagerate it more a lil.

Very pretty trees.
Christmas is a sacred festival. Over the years, I've realized how much Christmas has been made a marketing tool to boost sales and how commercialized Christmas has become. Malls try to outdo each other in decorations and sale cards hanging everywhere. Have we, materialized Christmas?
Every year, on the 25th of December, people around the world celebrate the birth of Christ, who was sent to save us from sin. Christmas is not about Santa Clauses (Santa Claus was invented by Coca Cola), or elves or Mega Sales. Christmas is my favourite holiday, because it doesn't matter if we're Chinese, Malay or Indian, we all buy gifts to celebrate. It doesn't mean you have to be a Christian to celebrate Christmas, because I am sure (WWJD!), Christ would welcome anyone into His home and heart. In the bible, not only he accepted taxpayers and sinners and prostitutes. If this is so, I am sure people who different skin colour, as long as they are sincere and celebrates Christ within his heart, Christ will welcome us into His home. As I stroll along the aisles of gifts, people of different races join in to pick something for their dear and loved ones. This is what love is supposed to be, no boundaries and no discrimination or colours and races (I still hate rempits). Christmas don't judge us.
Christmas is not about preparing the best gifts for a person. Christmas is about love, that we have in Christ, in each other, in your neighbour. Sharing joy and happiness in every way. Christmas is about charity, when we learn to give back, because of what God gave us. Christmas is about family. About sacrifice, how God created Jesus, and in the end, only gave His only son away to redeem the world (that's more Easter than Christmas though).
So bear in mind, as we celebrate this holy time of the calender, the Advent, is not about how many presents under the pine tree, but rather, how the family gathered together to put the tree up.
Before you start picking a gift up from the mall, make sure you learn to celebrate Christmas in your heart first! Sing out the joy of love for the birth of Christ, which eventually saved us. Bow, for once, in respect, because He is the King. So if you feel love, charity, sharing and family, rejoice, and celebrate! Glory to the New Born King.
Lastly, when you pray, try to stop asking for something, instead thank and praise Him first. Don't forget to ask for forgiveness. Sometimes, God, Jesus, all the other Saints, need a break from all the requests we have.

2 comments:

Brandon said...

YUP...totally agree, Christmas is truly the most wonderful day of the year.

It is a celebration of hope, love and sacrifice. It really gives you a special feeling when Christmas is around the corner( more inner peace).

When all the dreams of children
Once lost will all be found
That's all I want
When Christmas Comes to Town

6001 said...

santa clause was created by coca cola? u sure? ",