Thursday, June 11, 2009

sweet cookies from a cookie.

it's holidays and i cook/bake/do-whatever-i-want in the kitchen. cooking/baking has always been on my to-do-list when there's holidays.

when there are classes, i cook occasionally when my mother demands me to. so i usually whip up easy things like tom yam beehoon, carbonara and bolognese. nothing fanciful. i am not good when it comes to cooking chinese/malay/indian dishes. sorry! haha. except maybe curry, cause i did cook curry when i was 14.

before this i had no access to an oven because if i used my mother's oven, it'll trip the electricity for the house. yuck. but a few weeks/days back, my sister brought back the mini oven (yay!). okay, let me tell you the story of the mini oven. if you wish to skip this, proceed to the next paragraph. the mini oven initially belongs to my second sister. which then my eldest sister borrowed because she wanted to bake and the oven was not put to full use (my second sister only uses it to .... toast bread, wtf). well, my second sister doesn't cook and certainly won't ever make the effort to cook up something special, haha. so when my eldest sister bought a brand new (and bigger) oven, she tossed the mini oven to me. so yay! this is the story of the mini oven and the three sisters.

the first thing i made with the oven was not cookies. but it was lemon pepper chicken, which turned out too sour. however, i loved the aglio olio spaghetti which was served alongside. (of course i cooked it lah, it didn't come finely prepared abuhhhh)

initially, i didn't quite intend to make the cookies though i made myself promise to make them. well, cookies are not my thing. i don't fancy eating cookies. and i had a really rough week, i swear. i look 10 times uglier right now.


recipe.


flour, which i actually forgot to buy thinking my sister bought me flour! she said 'baking flour'! but it was 'baking powder' wtfreak! sigh. it's ok, i was at chan tung (i am now officially weekly customer of chan tung and bake with yen, i swear i am turning into a housewife) earlier and got my sister flour (and a dozen other baking items), so i used hers instead. so it just means i need to go to chan tung tomorrow, again.

anyway, baking flour is not the same as baking powder which is also different from the baking soda, which is different again from whole wheat flour/bread flour/self-raising flour, help me!

and it is always embarassing to go to chan tung. there are a million types of flours and powders i swear i can get lost in between those aisles.

it's really me at work. with Nadia's (the maid) help with washing up. i really like to cook/bake, but i hate washing up.

usually i am not the kind of person who actually reads recipes and cook. i prefer whipping up something which doesn't require the recipe. so this was actually extremely tedious with all the measuring.

AND goddamnit, i think my dad threw the weighing machine (to weigh ingredients) away, so i had to resort to using a measuring cup. do you know how difficult is that????

sigh adding on to all the no-weighing-machine and have-to-follow-recipe trouble, i was have menstrual cramps. le sigh, the sacrifices.

mixer is my best friend. someone extremely special to me, once said that the beating process when baking is the most difficult. this is what the mixer is for, my love. (i still miss old you! you know what i am talking about)


my legs and finally the baking process. haha. i stood there from 4 pm till 8.30 pm, fuh. very very tedious work. i never liked to bake. but it can be fun, when i want to take my mind off things.


outcome!
i had so many cookies in the end, i managed to supply to RBS and Chrysler! awesome. and i have one more container here. but...this container seem so lost and lonely. le sigh.

i hate to bake and follow recipes, play by the rules. but really, sometimes we just need to try somethings. i believe in failing. because failures create success stories.

ps: so if fail ifp, nvvvvvvvm. can take 3 times, rmit generous! but remember, after 3 times, byebye. haha. inside joke sorry.

pppsssspspspspsps: I AM GOING TO ADMIT MY RANDOM-NESS TOMORROW, SO COME AND READ IF YOU WANNA LAUGH YAP SZE VIEN!